Re: fixhrefgz unnecessary when fixing web-browsers in the correct wayR

On 29 Jun 1997, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>    Christoph> This wont work as we already have said again and
>    Christoph> again. You are modifying the HTTP protocol with this
>    Christoph> and creating a new .html.gz extension in essence. And
>    Christoph> sometimes the web browser will get those files
>    Christoph> compressed and sometimes not.
>
>The gzipped files are served as application/x-gzip, and an entry in
>"/etc/mailcap" tells the browser how to uncompress it prior to
>display rendering.  The protocol isn't changed at all.

This is the earlier approach: Again:

I dont have /etc/mailcap on my Win95 workstation nor on my MacOS machines.

And I strongly object to reconfiguring the whole world of Web-Browsers
just to accomodate reading Debian Documentation.

This is a non-standard extension of the http protocol!

> Please read my earlier post regarding Apache run from `inetd' (or
>better, from `xinetd'), and mod_rewrite.  I think we could set up an
>..htaccess file for "/usr/doc" with some rewrite rules that would make
>it so that if someone clicks a link in a Debian manual, the link will
>be to http://localhost/doc/thing.html and the mod_rewrite will make it
>so `apache' will grab that if it exists or grab thing.html.gz if /that/
>exists, and failing either, will grab http://www.debian.org/doc/thing.html,
>where the similar thing happens; the docs there can be gzipped as
>well.

.htaccess is not supported by all web-servers. boa does not support it.