Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
>
> > (in fakt so much, that I may be tempted to write it myself. You
> > don't need that many changes).
>
> Well, you need to write your own version of make that looks for any attempt
> to run chmod, chown etc, and then fakes all the ownership and modes in the
> resulting tar.

No, what I had in mind is changing chmod, chown and frends, and make them
log the intended permissions in a file (specified somewhere in a
environment variable), and then changing tar to look for that file
(agian in that environment variable), and ajust the permissions/ownerships
in the tar file according to that "permissons file".

> I'm not sure whether it's possible in general even then, what if the package
> tries to set the ownership of a file from within another shell script or a
> perl script; how can you intercept that so it works properly?

Well, if you do it with perl, OK that wouldn't work, but how many
packages use perl in their build process to set permissions on files?
I'm sure not very many. Actually I think most (97%) packages would build
OK with what I had in mind.

> With a few minor changes in the way packages are made---having tars all made
> as any user, and chowns done after the package is installed, either in the
> postinst or by dpkg first (the former would have the advantage of running on
> existing systems)---we could build as non-root.

Well that would be a lot of changes: many postinst's would need to
be changed.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj