Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl (joost witteveen) writes:

> No, what I had in mind is changing chmod, chown and frends, and make
> them log the intended permissions in a file (specified somewhere in
> a environment variable), and then changing tar to look for that file
> (agian in that environment variable), and ajust the
> permissions/ownerships in the tar file according to that "permissons
> file".

I thought that when this idea was discussed in the past, it was
decided that the best way to do this would be to write a stream
editing tool that could edit a tar archive (I think the format's
pretty simple) after it was created.  The editor would change the
owner, group, and mode on specified files inside the tar file after
the file had been created.  This, of course would require maintainers
to change their packages, but it would allow non-root builds, and
would avoid the problems with trying to guess where the current
packages chown files.

Just what I recall...
--
Rob