Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> (in fakt so much, that I may be tempted to write it myself. You
> don't need that many changes).

Well, you need to write your own version of make that looks for any attempt
to run chmod, chown etc, and then fakes all the ownership and modes in the
resulting tar.

I'm not sure whether it's possible in general even then, what if the package
tries to set the ownership of a file from within another shell script or a
perl script; how can you intercept that so it works properly?

With a few minor changes in the way packages are made---having tars all made
as any user, and chowns done after the package is installed, either in the
postinst or by dpkg first (the former would have the advantage of running on
existing systems)---we could build as non-root.