Re: Experiences with compiling Debian

> environment variable), and then changing tar to look for that file
> (agian in that environment variable), and ajust the permissions/ownerships

Not necessary -- tar 1.12 (I think) has --owner, --group, etc.  In
fact, you could write an "install" program that was just a wrapper
around tar --append, and use an environment variable (or even a
conventional name) to tell it where to add the files.  [packaging up
install kits was the inspiration for the code, after all... it
especially makes sense when the kit is built by the automated nightly
process, *not* installed then, but installed manually by the testing
crew, so it's *much* safer for the build process not to need root...]