Re: Proposal: New source format

> what do Ianj & Klee think of this? (Since they are the main persons
> behind dpkg ;)

I think this is fundamentally a good idea, although we will need to be
very careful in designing the implementation.  I can't speak for Ian,
but my guess is that he will be initally skeptical, although willing
to be convinced.

I've been working a bit lately on a proposal for signing and verifying
debian source and binary packages, including verifying the integrity
of upstream sources.  This proposal includes a provision for a
single-file debian source format.  I'd been planning to hold off
posting the proposal until after the 1.3 release, but given that the
issue has already come up, I'll clean it up a bit and post it either
tonight or tomorrow.  If people like the proposal, I can have it
implemented in a couple of weeks.

[ And lest Ian begin to worry: I do remember the number of issues that
were raised regarding single-file source archives when we designed the
current source format.  Hopefully I'll be able to convince you and
others that I've addressed them adequately in the proposal I'll be
posting. ]