Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:

>  However, I'm not convinced that we should also support
> libc5-based -dev packages with their files in old locations nor
> libc6-based -dev packages with their files in alternative locations.

It seems to me that it's little extra work to provide libc5-dev and
libc6alt-dev if you already intend to provide libc5alt-dev and
libc6-dev.

I think you underestimate the number in Thomas' situation.  Many of us
do important, non-Debian, work on our machines and don't want to risk
breaking the ability to compile.  I think many people will install a
libc6alt-dev package rather than libc6-dev and libc5alt-dev packages
simply to avoid the risk of the unknown.

As to user confusion?  We can set the alt-dev packages priority to
extra and put prominent notices in the description that these packages
are only needed if you want to be able to compile for more than one
libc version.

Guy