Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:

> On Apr 23, Helmut Geyer wrote
> > jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M.Dassen) writes:
[..]
> > > Some ways that might deal with this:
> > > - keep both at hand as .deb files, and install the one you need
>
> This is what I had intended.  Yes, I know it will be a pain to switch
> development environments between libc5 and libc6, but it will only be
> inflicted on developers.  That pain may also be a good thing in that
> it may encourage developers to concentrate on libc6.

True, but we still have to support bugfixes for bo. So everytime I
have to make a fix, I'd have to spend half an hour or so with
up/downgrading packages. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.
[..]
> >  - a modified libc5 package using the */libc5-compat directories
>
> This is already planned.
>
> >  - a modified libc5-dev package using the */libc5-compat directories.
>
> I hadn't planned on this, but I don't see a big problem with it.
> Where would the include files go?  I know some people won't want a
> /usr/i486-linuxlibc5 hierarchy.

I'd suggest /usr/include/libc5-compat for consistency (if we do not
want a /usr/i486-linuxlibc5 hierarchy). This is not standard, but it
would be OK with all the other path modifications for libc5 related
stuff. Using this approach, any library package could be installed for
both libc types.

        Helmut

--
Helmut Geyer                                Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de