Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

On Apr 23, Thomas Koenig wrote
> [Warning - question from ignorance]
>
> On a system which has both libc5 and libc6 installed, I assume that
> some options are needed to select libc5.  Where do these go?
>
> Or do I need a second machine?

[Warning: I'm new at this too]

AFAIK you can install both the libc5 and the libc6 runtime packages on the
same machine; however, libc5-dev and libc6-dev cannot be installed
simultaneously.

Some ways that might deal with this:
- keep both at hand as .deb files, and install the one you need
- fiddle with unpacking libc6-dev in /usr/local (dpkg-deb), and use modified
  PATH when compiling. This approach was taken in the a.out->ELF (libc4 ->
  libc5) transition for test compiles.
- chroot()ed environment for libc6 development.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would