Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M.Dassen) writes:

> On Apr 23, Thomas Koenig wrote
> > [Warning - question from ignorance]
> >
> > On a system which has both libc5 and libc6 installed, I assume that
> > some options are needed to select libc5.  Where do these go?
> >
> > Or do I need a second machine?
>
> [Warning: I'm new at this too]
>
> AFAIK you can install both the libc5 and the libc6 runtime packages on the
> same machine; however, libc5-dev and libc6-dev cannot be installed
> simultaneously.
>
> Some ways that might deal with this:
> - keep both at hand as .deb files, and install the one you need
> - fiddle with unpacking libc6-dev in /usr/local (dpkg-deb), and use modified
>   PATH when compiling. This approach was taken in the a.out->ELF (libc4 ->
>   libc5) transition for test compiles.
> - chroot()ed environment for libc6 development.

There is a different approach suggested by the libc6 developer:

You need a different gcc (or at least a different specs file) to
compile. At this time, the new gcc package does not support compiling
using libc5. This could be generated, however.
using the suggestions from ld.so 1.9.2 or the GNU libc installation
info on linux, it would be possible to have both libc-dev packages
installed, using 'gcc -b i486-linuxlibc5' as crosscompiler.
We would need at least the following new packages:
 - a modified gcc package to inlcude the crosscompiler for libc5
 - a modified libc5 package using the */libc5-compat directories
 - a modified libc5-dev package using the */libc5-compat directories.
The second and third part would be needed for any library used in the
package.
Please read my other mail concerning this as well.

As for the deb-files approach, I'm dead against it.
I think, it would be very hard to install/remove 10-20 debian packages
just to compile a bugfix for the stable tree.

        Helmut

--
Helmut Geyer                                Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
public PGP key available :           finger geyer@saturn.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de