Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:
> In general, if a package does not provide any public, shared libraries
> (i.e. shared libraries used by other packages), it should be rebuilt
> with libc6 using the same package name when all of the libraries it
> needs have been rebuilt for libc6.
>
> In general, if a package does provide public, shared libraries, extra
> action will be required.  In these cases, the package should be
> rebuilt with libc6 using a new package name so it can coexist with the
> old libc5 version.  Eventually, the old libc5 version will be removed
> from the distribution when it is no longer needed.
>
> The reason I prefaced both of these paragraphs with "In general" is
> because I expect there will be some exceptions.  For example, I am
> hopeful that Tcl8.0 will be released well before Debian 2.0 so I may
> choose not to rebuild the older versions of Tcl with libc6.

I see some major problem there (having read the README to the new
ld.so), as this is not only a matter of package names, but of library
sonames as well:
 - the old libc5-based libraries are still in /usr/lib (as the old
   packages still put them there). So this can't work when both lic5
   and libc6 based libraries are on the system, unless the soname is
   changed (which I personally would object very much against).
   The reason I really do not like to changes sonames is that this
   will make a mess of configuring source packages that are not
   Linux-specific.
 - commercial programs will need libc5 based libraries for some time.
   This means we should provide the libc5 based libraries in some kind
   of compatibility package moving the shared lib into
   /lib/libc5-compat, /usr/lib/libc5-compat as mentioned in the README
   to ld.so.

So I propose that every package providing a shared library should
generate two packages for transition:

   a package lib<package>-libc5compat and a package lib<package>, both
   using either a new packagename or simply a new debian revision.
   The lib<package> should conflict with the old lib<package>
   i.e. either the old name or with any version less than the
   transition version. It should as well depend on the
   lib<package>-libc5compat package until a complete transition to
   libc6 has been done.

This way there will be both shared libraries available for the
transition phase.

        Helmut

--
Helmut Geyer                                Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de