Re: FTP server: ls-lR file and mirroring

amos@dsi.co.il (Amos Shapira)  wrote on 30.03.97 in <[🔎] 199703301642.TAA00470@birnam.dsi.co.il>:

> Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> write:

> |Second, it seems that currently, the ls-lR file doesn't mention itself.
> This |means that it might not get mirrored.
>
> Aren't you supposed to run "ls -lRa" locally anyway after downloading?
> Otherwise, your site might too contain an ls-lR.gz file which doesn't
> reflect its contents.

I'd certainly prefer a mirror to have the original directory, _and_ to be
reasonably up-to-date (so that the only differences will be by local
policy).

An FTP mirror is just a way to do caching. I'm not very interested in
knowing the contents of the cache; I prefer to know the contents of the
original.

Besides, if everyone does their own listing, the time stamp problem is as
bad as with doing the ls yourself.

MfG Kai