Re: FTP server: ls-lR file and mirroring

maor@ece.utexas.edu (Guy Maor)  wrote on 30.03.97 in <[🔎] 879135nx0h.fsf@slip-87-7.ots.utexas.edu>:

> Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> writes:
>
> > First, it doesn't get any dot files, like .message. A simple solution
> > to making those visible is to use ls -laR or - slightly more compatible
> > (in case someone is bothered by the . and .. entries) ls -lAR. Does
> > anybody see any problems with that change?
>
> A few of the scripts which generate files sometimes leave dot files
> around.  I will first have to clean them up so they don't.

As long as those get removed at the end of the maintenance, that should be
enough.

It's always a good sign to see mirror complaining that it can't fetch the
maintenance-in-progress flag file :-)

> > Second, it seems that currently, the ls-lR file doesn't mention itself.
> > This means that it might not get mirrored.
>
> The line which generates the ls-lR file explicitly omits itself:
>
> filename=ls-lR
> ls -I private -I $filename'*' -lR > .$filename.new
>
> Maybe there is some reason for this?

I guess someone wanted to make sure that there's no old version in there.
Personally, I'd prefer an old version to no version.

And I'm pretty sure its a recent change - that is, not that long ago, the
ls-lR _did_ mention itself.

MfG Kai