Re: FTP server: ls-lR file and mirroring

Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

> First, it doesn't get any dot files, like .message. A simple solution
> to making those visible is to use ls -laR or - slightly more compatible (in
> case someone is bothered by the . and .. entries) ls -lAR. Does anybody
> see any problems with that change?

A few of the scripts which generate files sometimes leave dot files
around.  I will first have to clean them up so they don't.

> Second, it seems that currently, the ls-lR file doesn't mention itself. This
> means that it might not get mirrored.

The line which generates the ls-lR file explicitly omits itself:

filename=ls-lR
ls -I private -I $filename'*' -lR > .$filename.new

Maybe there is some reason for this?

> For any files that are regenerated (like ls-lR and ls-lR.gz), can we please
> make sure that one incarnation exists in the ls-lR file, even if it may be
> an old one?

Because it's built last, the ls-lR file will always contain accurate
copies of all the generated files.

Guy