creating newly introduced devices

Currently devices are created at initial install. They are in the base
system that is unpacked when your debian system is installed.

The makedev that was current when the base system .tar.gz was created
determines which devices exist on your system.

When new devices become standard, makedev is adapted. But how will
these new devices appear on a system that might be some years old?

I thought that makedev might be called in makedev's postinst, but this
isn't the case. So is there a mechanism that ensures that new device
nodes will be created automatically? If not, should we create a way to
make this happen?

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/