Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> I disagree.  Having non-free be a section would be simpler.  However,
> I prefer the idea of creating separate distribution separate from
> Debian - but in parallel development.
>
> One practical reason for doing this would be so the non-free packages
> could be categorized also.  There are 87 non-free packages right now,
> and that could easily blossom into hundreds, or even thousands.  That's
> too much for a single category.

Agree with that and I add too that's is can be good to don't see the
difference between the two - although in the dselect three. May be we can
put the Distribution field in the control and let them have a Section as
for stable and unstable. If someone select non-free and contrib in the
methods initialisation, I think he doesn't bother about it too mush.
Elsewhere, we must find a way to print a LICENCE or COPYRIGHT file some
where in dselect.

> Plus, if we could get the process of having separate parallel distributions,
> then we could easily create an e-text distribution if necessary.

Isn't what's local is for? In fact, if I got time, I will try to make
multiple-ftp method scripts who let you have multiple distribution on
different sites (such as local, non-us, and debian) and having alternate
choice when you're favorite site are too mush busy.

> It looks like Debian is just too successful.  :-)

Well, To Infinity and beyond ! :-))

Fab