Re: dpkg-divert -- How do I use it?

Guy Maor writes:
> > So, should I create an extra directory (what? /usr/lib/debug/?)
> > that contains the debug libs and put that lib above /usr/lib in
> > the /etc/ld.so.config file?
>
> No.  Only provide static libs and let the developer link to them by
> hand, similar to how libc5-dbg does it.  Much simpler.  You could even
> just make the regular static lib in libg++27-dev provide the debug
> code.  I don't know why David didn't do that for libc5.  He still
> wanted to provide a profiled library, so he would still need that
> other package.

The current packaging of libc5 is due to historical reasons that I
don't completely remember.

My only objection to providing all static libs with debugging enabled
is that it would dramatically increase the size of most -dev packages.
For example, the non-debug libc. is only 1.09MB while the debug libc.a
is 4.69MB.  Perhaps we should move all static libs to -dbg packages.

David