Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

>>>>> "DF" == David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch> writes:

    DF: I could contribute some rc-files for Swiss (i.e Latin1) setup
    DF: with the exclusion of Emacs-configuration, since I don't know
    DF: enough Lisp.

    DF: Are there some Latin[2-8] collegues around to coordinate?
    DF: (There is somebody in the .cz domain (Czecho-Slovakia [I know,
    DF: this spelling is wrong, but what is the right one?], Marek is
    DF: in .pl (Poland), both Latin2 and somebody is in .il (Israel,
    DF: Latin8). Lars is in .fi (Finland as we all know, Latin3 ?), so
    DF: Latin[5-7] are still missing, Latin5 (Cyrillic) is probably
    DF: most important)

Well, I'm from Czech Republic (ISO 8859-2), country with nontrivial
i18n problems, so may be I could a little help in this area.  As I'm
an Emacs phanatic I don't know much about other programs, but:
- There is surely no problem with programs like bash which only need
  to be set to display relevant 8-bit characters (even when they
  sometimes call it `latin1' like less).
- In Emacs this is also trivial by adding
    (standard-display-european)
  to some startup file.  It could be also useful to add
    (require 'iso-syntax)   ; for ISO 8859-1
  or
    (require 'iso02-syn)    ; for ISO 8859-2, not available in XEmacs 19.14
- Probably some other programs can be easily extended by extending
  their ISO 8859-1 extension to ISO 8859-2.

BTW, I've noticed XFree 3.2 offers to use XKB extension.  It even
offers "Czechoslovakia" keyboard even with dead key but there is a
small problem: only ISO 8859-1 characters can be typed on this
keyboard.  Does some X expert know whether it is possible to correct
it?  It would be very nice for people in Czech Republic.  When we can
see 8-bit characters, it would be nice to type them too.

Milan Zamazal

[ Short geographic explanation:
  Czechoslovakia (domain .cs) has splited in 1993 to
  Czech Republic (domain .cz) and
  Slovakia (domain .sk) ]