Re: Zip drives

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  I have placed the following entries into my /etc/fstab file:
>
> 8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
> /dev/sda1 /zip ext2 defaults,noauto,user,exec 0 1
                                                 ^^^--- Shouldn't that be "2"?

>  Zip disks come from the factory with a DOS "filesystem" on partition
> number 4, and most, if not all, DOS zip disks will be sd?4.  When I
> convert a disk to ext2, I like to run fdisk on it to make it partition
> 1.  That makes it easy to be able to mount either /zip or /dzip like
> this.

We should not create new top-level directories for every periphal that
exists. There is already "cdrom" and "floppy" and even they are of very
limited use. / is already overcrowded.

It would be much nicer if we would use /mnt/ for holding directories in
which periphals could be mounted into. Like

        /mnt/floppy/a:
        /mnt/floppy/b:
        /mnt/floppy/thesis
        /mnt/cdrom_1/infomagic
        /mnt/cdrom_1/jws
        /mnt/zip_1/

Now "a:" and "b:" are really obvious. What the hell is about "thesis"?
This is a directory created by the automounter based on the label of that
disk. And if that disk is not in the drive, the automounter will ask you
to change the disk. This could be even done for CD-ROMs.

Users should access data on those mediums through links in their
home-directories. If the data is of common interest, it should become a
name that is more verbose than the technical description "/zip".

-Winfried

>  It would also be nice if those directories are trimmed from the
> 'updatedb' find path as well.

The problem is that "updatedb" has no configuration file.

>  It will be great if somebody writes support for EPP and ECP!  It is
> fairly slow as it stands, but I love it anyway.  It makes DEC SRC's
> Lectern (virtual paper) practical.  I have all of the X and NTeX docs
> on Zip floppy now. :-)  More to read than I'll do in a year.

I thought EPP and ECP are a hardware thing. You might want to tune you
kernel with "irqtune" and "tunelp" (beside this there is a patch
"bidir-lp" out there which lowers the CPU usage when printing).

-Winfried