Re: Zip drives

'Winfried Truemper wrote:'

>On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>

>>  I have placed the following entries into my /etc/fstab file:
>>
>> 8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
>> /dev/sda1 /zip ext2 defaults,noauto,user,exec 0 1
>                                                 ^^^--- Shouldn't that be "2"?
>
>>  Zip disks come from the factory with a DOS "filesystem" on partition
>> number 4, and most, if not all, DOS zip disks will be sd?4.  When I
>> convert a disk to ext2, I like to run fdisk on it to make it partition
>> 1.  That makes it easy to be able to mount either /zip or /dzip like
>> this.
>
>We should not create new top-level directories for every periphal that
>exists. There is already "cdrom" and "floppy" and even they are of very
>limited use. / is already overcrowded.
>
>It would be much nicer if we would use /mnt/ for holding directories in
>which periphals could be mounted into. Like
>
>        /mnt/floppy/a:
>        /mnt/floppy/b:
>        /mnt/floppy/thesis
>        /mnt/cdrom_1/infomagic
>        /mnt/cdrom_1/jws
>        /mnt/zip_1/

Can this be made a configurable option?  On second thought it's low
priority.  But I prefer the shorted directory names.  And I don't have
all those devices.  If I was prompted once by /usr/sbin/mountconfig, I
could set up my mounts in either of the proposed ways.  Almost nothing
depends on the mount points and we can use Lars' or Winfried's
proposed variables separates-from-scripts tools to export the results
of the user's choices.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS