Re: Static/dynamic uids/gids allocation

> 60000-64999: Globallty allocated by the Debian project, but only
> created on demand.   The ids are allocated
> centrally and statically, but the actual accounts are only created on
> users' systems on demand.
>
> These ids are for packages which are obscure or which require many
> statically-allocated ids.  These packages should check for and create
> if necessary the accounts in /etc/passwd or /etc/group (using adduser
> if it has this facility).  Packages which are likely to require
> further allocations should have a `hole' left after them in the
> allocation, to give them room to grow.

The one problem I can see with this is that modifying the password file
may cause problems on a user's system if not done properly.  An incorrect
entry may cause problems with NIS or possibly shadow passwords.

There should be a script that can be called that is guaranteed to create
these entries correctly.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )