Re: /usr/doc/<lang>

Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> [...]
> I think it might be better to move non-English documentation
> into a subdirectory of /usr/doc. The best name I can come up
> with is /usr/doc/LANG, giving /usr/doc/LANG/fi, for documentation
> in Finnish.

But in this way if you are looking for the policy manual (e.g.) you have
to look first into  /usr/doc/fi or /usr/doc/fi/dpkg  and then, if you
don't find it, into /usr/doc/dpkg.
Alternatively you have to build a forest of symlinks to let each
original doc appear under /usr/doc/fi when the document is not yet been
translated.

> On the other hand, I wouldn't mind mixing different languages
> directly in /usr/doc. For example, if someone translates the dpkg
> policy manual into Finnish, they might create a separate package
> and that puts the files into /usr/doc/dpkg/säännöt.html (and
> adds a suitable /usr/doc/dpkg/säännöt.html/.dwww-index, to make
> sure the document is put into the list of Finnish documentation).

I suggest
  /usr/doc/dpkg/fi/säännöt.html or /usr/doc/dpkg/lang-fi/säännöt.html
and
  /usr/doc/dpkg/fi/.dwww-index or /usr/doc/dpkg/lang-fi/.dwww-index
to make also clearer to which language belongs each translation.
Anyway, does rfc1808 and/or rfc1738 allow 8 bit chars in urls?

Fabrizio