Re: /usr/doc/<lang>

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Christophe Le Bars:
> > Well, i can make a new package with the ISO abbreviation and
> > with links for all the locale name:
> > /usr/doc/fr
> > /usr/doc/fr_BE -> /usr/doc/fr
> > /usr/doc/fr_CA -> /usr/doc/fr
> > /usr/doc/fr_FR -> /usr/doc/fr
> > etc...
> >
> > No objections?

> (Are the symlinks really necessary, or would it be enough to
> have just /usr/doc/fi? I can make dwww support that. Is there
> any other program that needs to understand this?)

	As for French I guess this solution is ok, since the French language
spoken in Belgium, Canada, etc... is very close from the one spoken in
France, therefore fr == fr_CA, etc...

	However Bruce pointed out that this is not the case for every language:
es_ES != es_MX. So symlinks may serve.

	On the other hand, I wonder if the difference in the languages
change a lot to 'Documentation files'.

	Any comments from spanish/mexican people on this?

> I think it might be better to move non-English documentation
> into a subdirectory of /usr/doc. The best name I can come up
> with is /usr/doc/LANG, giving /usr/doc/LANG/fi, for documentation
> in Finnish.

	Right, but the purpose of /usr/doc and /usr/doc/fr was to follow the
same scheme than /usr/man and /usr/man/fr (with or without extra
symlinks).
	Both /usr/doc/fi and /usr/doc/LANG/fi are acceptable I think.

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -