Re: new kernel/boot builders (fwd)

On 24-Oct-96 Mike Neuffer wrote:
> [...]

Also there is the issue of the 387 emulation code.

> In addition have you followed the latest 6x86 related discussions on the
> kernel mailing list?  I think we should contemplate to include this patch
> in our kernels because Cyrix/IBM chips are cheap and thus getting popular.
> And there is a Nx586 patch available to which does some fine tuning on the
> chip configuration.  To my knowledge the patches will work on inte chips
> as well because they check the type of chip and then do additional
> initialization as needed.

Where are these patches?  i can integrate them if anyone asks for them.

> > Regarding the module complement, there are more possible modules than
> > will fit on the floppy - it might be best to build more than one boot disk
> > for that reason.

Not necessarily.  there are MANY modules which have nothing to do with
installing Debian/Linux, such as frame relay, ISDN, sound, multi-port serial
cards, etc.

> Please look at the recent discussion on debian-private and the proposals i
> made.
>
> Now to prevent some mistakes found on earlier debian kernels:
>
> 1) Enable use of experimental drivers

I am already doing that.  why the discussion?

> 2) Enable CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and CONFIG_UMISC

Already being done.

> 3) By default restrict memory usage to lower 16MB and disable large network
>    buffers.  If memory >16MB is allowed ISA busmaster devices like the
>    AHA-1542 will not work ... (or has that changed? Verifcation needed!)

I dont know about the AHA, but I am already building both ways.

> 4) By default _DISABLE_ IP forwarding (see RFCs: only router should do
>    IP forwarding).

Minor impact on kernel size, already being done.

> 5) Build all drivers as modules and use initrd to setup the kernel at
>    boottime.

Now, this is a GOOD idea!

> 6) Verify all modules insert cleanly into the kernel.

Agree.

> And since we have swiched to ELF:
>
> 7) Build a.out support only a module.

Already done.

We curently distribute over 10 diffrent kernel configurations.
Adding more is not a problem EXCEPT:

There is NO ROOM on the CD for anything.  The current 1.1.11 CD is 643MB.
The 1.2 is 647, WITHOUT any kernels!

Simon