Re: Applications menu for Fvwm

Joey Hess:
> Indeed. I've converted over about 7 of my packages to use
> install-fvwm2menu today :-)

Good, good. I've attached a small script to set up a couple of
sample menus.

> Hmm.. I'm not sure if this is the way to go. It makes more sense to me for
> a package to come with the icon it uses with install-fvwm2menu instead of
> lumping them all together in fvwm. Of course, if fvwm provides the icon
> you need, you can just use that one.

Hmm, yes, that would be one solution. It's more difficult to get
them to use the same palette, but we could live with that.

> Another question: should only x-based programs be set up to use
> install-fvwm2menu, or should useful text-based programs be set up to spawn
> an xterm running the program? I'm thinking about programs like pine, slrn,
> etc, that are application-type programs.

I'd say it's OK to do the xterm thing. I've patched lynx to do it.
(See <http://www.iki.fi/liw/debian/fvwm2menu/>).

Some people will prefer rxvt or something else to xterm. The command
should be like this:

	install-fvwm2menu --install My-Apps/Tools my-lynx none 'Lynx' \
		'Exec ${XTERMNAME:-xterm} -e lynx'

(My lynx patch does not do it, however.)