Re: Size difference (big) between .orig.tar.gz and .deb: why?

In article <[🔎] 199609192133.XAA02213@marin.sevy.fr> Yves Arrouye <Yves.Arrouye@marin.fdn.fr> writes:

> I just wonder: I make a package with only a 17kb copyright file and a small
> control file in addition to what is in my .orig.tar.gz file, and I get:
>
> 1427032 Sep 19 23:28 povray3-manual_3.0.10-1_all.deb
> 1352325 Sep 19 23:26 povray3-manual_3.0.10.orig.tar.gz
>
> What can explain this 72kb difference in size? Is one of the files
> more compressed than the other one, or is it because of the .deb
> format?

I suppose the original packages tar file ontains the documentation files
uncompressed whereas the .deb package installs these files as
compressed.

So they are compressed in one gzip run in the .tar.gz, whereas in the
.deb case all files are compressed individually and then compressed
again by dpkg --build. This makes the overall compression less
efficient.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/