Re: Distribution-HOWTO entry for Debian

MS> I have received some corrections for my text.  This is the final
MS> version that I will send to the maintainer if I get an ACK from
MS> Bruce or Ian J.

It's too late for some comments?

MS> -- Begin Text ------------------------------------------------

MS>   4.3.  Debian Linux Distribution

MS>      Distributor: The Debian Linux Association, Software in the
MS> Public Interest, P.O. Box 70152, Pt. Richmond CA 94807-0152

MS>         Net: debian-user@lists.debian.org WWW:
MS> <http://www.debian.org/> FTP: <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/>

MS>      Provider's Description: Debian Linux is the result of a
MS> volunteer effort to create a high-quality non-commercial Linux
MS> distribution.  Debian Linux 1.1 is a complete and fully-functional
MS> Unix-compatible operating system for the personal computer.  It is
MS> completely ELF, but can also get to work like an a.out system.  At
                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't understand this. Do you mean that the user can make a
downgrade to 0.93 (a.out)? Or do you mean that Debian can run a.out
binaries as well?

What about "It is a completely ELF system, but can run a.out binaries
as well"?

MS> the moment Debian Linux is only available for the IBM PC, but it
MS> is beeing worked on versions for Sparc, m68k and Alpha
MS> architectures.

MS>         Debian Linux is an easy-to-upgrade distribution that
MS> mostly consists of freely redistributable software from a number
MS> of different sources and systems.  Non-free packages are also
MS> available for the sake of a well-rounded system.

MS>         The benefits of Debian Linux are its upgradability,
MS> well-defined dependencies between packages, and its open
MS> development.  It is the only distribution for Linux that is beeing

At some point here I think it's important to emphasize that you can
make upgrades without having to install everything from scratch.