Re: Distribution-HOWTO entry for Debian

Good night folks,

This morning I wrote:

}Dirk Eddelbuettel has remarked that the text concerning Debian Linux
}is outdated in the Distribution-HOWTO.  This morning I took some time
}and wrote down what I think is important for this section.
}
}I announce this as a proposal.  I would be happy if any native english
}speaker or project leader would look through it and correct it.  As
}english is only my second language there probably will be mistakes.

I have received some corrections for my text.  This is the final
version that I will send to the maintainer if I get an ACK from Bruce
or Ian J.

-- Begin Text ------------------------------------------------

  4.3.  Debian Linux Distribution

     Distributor:
        The Debian Linux Association, Software in the Public Interest,
        P.O. Box 70152, Pt. Richmond CA 94807-0152

        Net: debian-user@lists.debian.org
        WWW:  <http://www.debian.org/>
        FTP:  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/>

     Provider's Description:
        Debian Linux is the result of a volunteer effort to create a
        high-quality non-commercial Linux distribution.  Debian Linux
        1.1 is a complete and fully-functional Unix-compatible operating
        system for the personal computer.  It is completely ELF, but can
        also get to work like an a.out system.  At the moment Debian
        Linux is only available for the IBM PC, but it is beeing worked
        on versions for Sparc, m68k and Alpha architectures.

        Debian Linux is an easy-to-upgrade distribution that mostly
        consists of freely redistributable software from a number of
        different sources and systems.  Non-free packages are also
        available for the sake of a well-rounded system.

        The benefits of Debian Linux are its upgradability, well-defined
        dependencies between packages, and its open development.  It is
        the only distribution for Linux that is beeing developed in the
        internet due to the spirit of Linux and free software and not by
        a handful of individuals.  More than 100 package maintainers are
        working on about 500 packages and improving Debian Linux.
        Debian sports a well-thought-out bug tracking system by which
        its users can easily report discovered bugs.

        Debian Linux is a very dynamic distribution.  Snap-shot releases
        are made about every three months, the ftp archives are updated
        every day.  It is also very picky about security concerns and
        bugs.  Once a bug or security hint is reported it will be
        eliminated very quickly.  A new release of the package will soon
        occur on well-known ftp archives.

        For more information about Debian Linux, please refer to the
        files at  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/> or visit our World
        Wide Web page at  <http://www.debian.org/>.

     Internet Access:
        Debian Linux is available via anonymous FTP from
        <ftp.debian.org/debian/> and on a
        <http://www.debian.org/mirrors.html> near to you.

     Entry last modified:

     Editor's comments:
        If you're interested in joining this project you are invited to
        subscribe to either debian-user@lists.debian.org or debian-
        devel@lists.debian.org by sending a mail to debian-user-
        request@lists.debian.org (or debian-devel-request respectively)
        with the word "help" in the subject line.

All the best,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/                     There are lies, statistics and benchmarks /