Re: Distribution-HOWTO entry for Debian

Good morning folks,

Dirk Eddelbuettel has remarked that the text concerning Debian Linux
is outdated in the Distribution-HOWTO.  This morning I took some time
and wrote down what I think is important for this section.

I announce this as a proposal.  I would be happy if any native english
speaker or project leader would look through it and correct it.  As
english is only my second language there probably will be mistakes.

Please feel also free to re-write parts of it.

I would like to get this text out to Eric Raymond in order to have it
updated when 1.1 comes out.

For comparism I first include the original text, quoted by Dirk, then
the SGML text, then the formatted text.

First here's Dirks quote:

}(BTW: I cut-and-paste this from a zless display in an rxvt into this emacs/vm
}      buffer. Why the heck do the empty lines vanish?)
}
}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
}
}  4.3.  Debian Linux Distribution
}     Distributor:
}        Ian A. Murdock
}        Net: imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu FTP:
}        <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/info>
}     Provider's Description:
}        Debian GNU/Linux is a complete and fully-functional Unix-
}        compatible operating system for the personal
}        computer--specifically, the IBM PC and compatibles.
}        Essentially, it is a preliminary release of the GNU operating
}        system, integrating the finished parts of GNU with the Linux
}        kernel and completing the system with freely redistributable
}        software from a number of different sources and systems,
}        including 4.4BSD-Lite.  It is intended to be a freely
}        redistributable replacement for commercial operating systems,
}        but it can be used alongside MS-DOS, OS/2, Unix, etc. and can
}        even reside on the same hard disk with them.
}        For more information about Debian GNU/Linux, please refer to the
}        files at  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/info> in the directory or
}        visit our World Wide Web page at  <http://www.debian.org/>.
}     Internet Access:
}        Debian GNU/Linux is available via anonymous FTP from
}        <ftp.debian.org/debian>,
}     Entry last modified:
}        23 November 1995
}     Editor's comments:
}        The Debian distribution is currently under development by a
}        ``semi-closed'' group of developers (rather then an individual)
}        and has been adopted as the Free Software Foundation's Linux
}        distribution.
}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here comes the SGML source:

-- Begin SGML ---------------------------------------------------------
<sect1>Debian Linux Distribution
<tag/Distributor:/
	Ian A. Murdock &amp; The Debian Linux Association,
	Station 11,
	P.O. Box 3121,
	West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA

	Net: <htmlurl url="debian-user@lists.debian.org" name="debian-user@lists.debian.org"> <newline>
	WWW: <url url="http://www.debian.org/";> <newline>
	FTP: <url url="ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/";>

<tag/Provider's Description:/
	Debian Linux 1.1 is a complete and fully-functional Unix-compatible
	operating system for the personal computer--specifically.  Debian
	1.1 is completely ELF.  At the moment Debian Linux is only available
	for the IBM PC, but it is worked on versions for Sparc, m68k and
	Alpha machines.

	Debian Linux is an easy to upgrade distribution that mostly
	consists of freely redistributable software from a number of
	different sources and systems.  Non-free packages are also
	available for the sake of a round system.

	The benefit of Debian Linux is it's upgradability, well defined
	dependencies between packages and its open development.  It is only
	distribution for Linux that is developed in the internet due to the
	spirit of Linux and free software and not by a handfull of
	individuals.  More than 100 package maintainers are working on
	about 500 packages and improving Debian Linux.  Even more users are
	are filing bugreports if there should be any.

	Debian Linux is a very dynamic distribution.  It is also very picky
	about security concerns and bugs.  Once a bug or security hint is
	reported it will be elilminated very quickly.  A new release of the
	package will soon occur on well-known ftp archives.

	For more information about Debian Linux, please refer to the
	files at <url url="ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/";> or visit our
	World Wide Web page at <url url="http://www.debian.org/";>.

<tag/Internet Access:/
	Debian GNU/Linux is available via anonymous FTP from <url
	url="ftp.debian.org/debian/">,

<tag/Entry last modified:/

<tag/Editor's comments:/
	If you're interested in joining this project be invited to
	subscribe to either debian-user@lists.debian.org or
	debian-devel@lists.debian.org by sending a mail to
	debian-user-request@lists.debian.org (or debian-devel-request
	respectively) with the word "help" in the subject line.
</descrip>
-- End SGML -----------------------------------------------------------

And here's the formatted result:

-- Begin Text ---------------------------------------------------------
  4.3.  Debian Linux Distribution

     Distributor:
        Ian A. Murdock & The Debian Linux Association, Station 11, P.O.
        Box 3121, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA

        Net: debian-user@lists.debian.org
        WWW:  <http://www.debian.org/>
        FTP:  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/>

[...]

        files at  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/> or visit our World
        Wide Web page at  <http://www.debian.org/>.

     Internet Access:
        Debian GNU/Linux is available via anonymous FTP from
        <ftp.debian.org/debian/>,

     Entry last modified:

     Editor's comments:
        If you're interested in joining this project be invited to
        subscribe to either debian-user@lists.debian.org or debian-
        devel@lists.debian.org by sending a mail to debian-user-
        request@lists.debian.org (or debian-devel-request respectively)
        with the word "help" in the subject line.

Best regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/  VFS: no free i-nodes, contact Linus  -- finlandia, Feb '94   /