Re: Experience with 5/21 boot/root/base disks

Bruce Perens wrote:

> > I have booted from the original boot floppy, not the
> > one installed on my hard disk and subsequently depmoded.
>
> OK. The currently booted kernel is different from the one that is installed
> on the hard disk. The module stuff will break. Your choice is to install
> the kernel on the hard disk, or boot up with the hard disk kernel and
> root=/dev/fd0 [load_ramdisk=1] on the command line. I don't know what else
> I can do about that situation.

Ok, I think I understand. My question now becomes "Of what use is
the menu choice 'Install device modules'?". Is there ever a point
where it would work? I don't see how to get there normally except
via the boot/root floppies. I thought the purpose of the that menu
item was to select which modules would be loaded when the system
rebooted (i.e. set up the /etc/modules file). Am I wrong?

I think I need to delve into the boot/root/base disks and install
procedure to see exactly what is going on. Bruce, if I'm making no
sense at this point, tell me and I'll go away, at least on this
topic :-)

Steve

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream