documentation for contrib packages

I need some input on where to store some documentation for some of
the packages I'm putting together.  This is all non-manpage stuff:
news clippings, READMEs, example programs, etc.  It seems to me
that I should create subdirectories in /usr/doc (such as /usr/doc/perl5
and /usr/doc/clisp).  The fsstnd seems to allow placing almost anything
in /usr/lib/PROGRAM directories, but it seems to me that online help
is best placed there, while "stand-alone" text might be better off
in /usr/doc.

Also, I'm contemplating creating directories in /usr/src for example
programs, patches, Linux-specific files, etc.  /usr/src/perl5, for example,
would hold pre-built makefiles and configuration files, as well as a
patch to pp.c for -T and -B operators.  It might also hold some example
programs for Perl5's new features.  /usr/src/clisp would hold extensions
like the ANSI loop macro and the SERIES package.

Does this all sound good?

Apologies for the trivial question, but the guiding light of fsstnd1.0
hasn't yet reached all the dark, musty corners of package development.