Re: About your minetest-mod-* packages

Hi,

On 02/06/2016 20:59, Dominik George wrote:
 * I fixed your dh_install override to remove the useless use of find(1).

Good ; thanks!

 * You remove */doc/ from the module installation. What about adding them
   to the package docs in some way?

I'm not sure exactly how to get something useful out of it : there is a doc/ directory in each top directory, but no central index file to link everything together... so shipping that would give something pretty awkward.

They *do* have this on the site:
http://mesecons.net/items.html
but it isn't in the sources since the website is in another repository.

This this item.html is actually generated from the package.json we *do* have in the tarball, so perhaps one could write a script debian/build_index in whatever language is handier for the task?

 * You have dropped the git revision from the version. I'd prefer keeping
   the old version scheme because it allows for reproducing the package.
   As upstream has no release tarballs (the tarball link from the website
   points to a snapshot of whatever is current HEAD), this would be quite
   important.

Well :

(1) there is no "old version scheme" as it is from-scratch ;

(2) the tarball comes from a tagged release, not some random commit: https://github.com/Jeija/minetest-mod-mesecons/releases

(3) and in fact, the reason why there was such a release recently is that I asked for it : https://github.com/Jeija/minetest-mod-mesecons/issues/267 ;

so I don't think I did that bad on that matter.

   Oh, yes… now, looking at the watch file, you seem to have gotten the
   tarball from somewhere else. In that case, please document that - the
   Source: field in the copyright file would be a good place for that.

The watch file says where the tarball comes from, so I'm not sure duplicating the information in the copyright file is sensible. I won't revert the change if you do it.

 * Also, how to get a reproducible tarball? I did not care about that in the
   old package either, but have by now learnt that the build should be
   reproducible, e.g. by providing a get-orig-source target.

I can suggest three ways to lay your hand on the tarball :

(1) uscan --force-download
(but it gets it from upstream, not from the repo)

(2) pristine-tar checkout minetest-mod-mesecons_2016.05.15.orig.tar.gz
(gets it from the repo)

(3) gbp buildpackage -S -us -uc
(gets you the full source package, including the tarball, from the repo)

I hope that helps,

Snark on #debian-games