Re: Debian Games Blend: development tasks

On 21.08.2014 05:13, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
>> I'm currently experimenting with some new tasks for the Games Blend to
>> facilitate the development of games in different programming languages.
>
> Excellent!
>
> Personally I'm not sure about putting cppcheck, gdb and valgrind in
> the C/C++ category, they are more general tools.

Agreed. First I thought about downgrading those packages to Suggests but
now I have removed them.

> libcegui-mk2-dev might be something to add to the C/C++ category.

Done.

> If we have a bit of level design software, that might be a useful
> category. One that comes to mind is extremetuxracer-gimp-dev but there
> are probably more.

In many cases the level editor is already part of the game itself hence
I believe such an extra metapackage would probably duplicate our
efforts. Extremetuxracer is one of the few games that ship an extra
package for developing new levels (although this one is not compatible
with the current 0.6 branch). Other packages like Neverball provide an
additional binary which we ship together with the game executable or the
map editor is already part of the game (Cube2).

> I would also suggest some -dev packages for production of graphics,
> audio, video but perhaps the multimedia blend would be a better place
> for that?

I tend to agree that the multimedia blend would be a better place
especially for the development of audio or video entertainment. But if
we really wanted to support -dev packages for content development, I
would need some hints how specific we want it.

Just »games-content-dev« with major tools like Gimp, Inkscape, Audacity?

or more fine-grained

»games-audio-dev«
»games-video-dev«
»games-graphics-dev«

In any event some suggestions for relevant packages would be appreciated. :)

Markus