Re: Spring 97.0.1-18-gf1dd749 (develop)

On 12/06/14 17:15, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> On 11.06.2014 22:37, Michael Dorrington wrote:
>> I've pushed spring 97.0.1-18-gf1dd749 (develop) to my guest user Debian
>> spring repo in the hope it might be useful to others:
>
> It seems you never received my e-mail from January.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2014/01/msg00053.html

I received that email but failed to complete the actions before they
were done in Debian, my bad.  I was hoping that Debian would pull the
work I'd done that was of use but Debian wanted me to identify the
differences that were of use, which I have failed to do so far.

> In the meantime I have been working on the spring and springlobby
> package for quite some time.

I saw that and it is great that Spring is being work on in Debian again.

>> * http://anonscm.debian.org/git/users/michaeld-guest/spring.git/
>> * git clone git://git.debian.org/git/users/michaeld-guest/spring.git
>>
>> (The gitweb view is broken for guest user space since the "alioth"
>> rebuild, along with guest user webspace for hosting packages.)
>>
>> This version is a development version for what will become the next
>> stable version (98.0).  The Zero-K mod/game is currently trialling this
>> exact version of Spring (as well as version 97.0.1-24-g93bd67d).
>
> Please have a look at
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/spring.git
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/springlobby.git
>
> The official packaging is currently up-to-date and happens there.

The latest official Debian build in unstable is 96.0.  The official
Debian git repo is using 97.0 , which is the latest upstream tarball,
but not 97.0.1 which is latest tagged upstream nor is it
97.0.1-18-gf1dd749 which the popular Zero-K mod/game is using in many of
its battlerooms.  As far as I understand it, 97.0 is meant only as a
game/mod developers release to help in preparation for 98.0 which is why
96.0 is the version available from Spring Download page
<http://springrts.com/wiki/Download>.

On a related note to that, I would like the packaging to allow multiple
versions of Spring to be installed side-by-side using the alternatives
system or similar to switch between them.  This is because different
mods/games often require different Spring versions and when new versions
of Spring are released there is often a period where at least two
versions are in use.

>> This version of Spring uses `~/.config/spring/` for its files rather
>> than `~/.spring/` and I haven't added any automatic migration of files
>> from the old version to the new version so this needs to be done by hand.
>
> The engine reads from the old layout but only writes to the new location
> at ~/.config/spring. I mentioned this change in a NEWS file and the
> changelog when I uploaded 96.0+dfsg-1.

I have noticed that the new version of Spring doesn't read the "pool"
data from the old location.  This is where Spring downloads hash chunks
of games/mods.  With the new version of Spring it was trying to download
the whole game/mod rather than just the new hash chunks as it normally
does and was taking sometime.  After manually copying the old hash
chunks across, the update to the new game/mod was quick again.
It is also possible that Spring isn't reading custom Lua scripts,
widgets and config from the old location as I had issues with those
seemingly not working and/or reverting to defaults.

> I also intend to get 98.0 into the next stable release. If you are
> really interested in helping with spring, I suggest to prepare this
> version based on the current packaging of spring in Debian as soon as
> the new release is available and add yourself to Uploaders. I can then
> review your changes.

I give that a go then.  I'll post on the list after 98.0 is released to
confirm I'm going ahead with packaging it based off the latest Debian
git commit.

Regards,
Mike.

--