Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 05:47:11PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 19/02/14 17:11, Markus Koschany wrote:
> > I would also like to point out again that Red Eclipse is basically
> > a free game with DFSG-compliant licenses based on cube engine 2.
>
> Hmm, so src:sauerbraten and src:redeclipse are forks of the same code?
> If the engine isn't heavily forked, maybe both games[1] could share
> cube2-engine, like quake3 and openarena share ioquake3, and nexuiz and
> quake share darkplaces? The security team would probably thank you for
> that.

(I'm packaging Red Eclipse in Debian)

Red Eclipse is a long-ago-fork of Cube 2: Sauerbraten.

I've asked the upstream cube2 "engine" maintainer (who is active in both
sauer and RE) about this, but he has indicated that it is very unlikely
for the two to be able to share code. Simply looking at a diffstat of
the engine/ directory from the sauerbraten and redeclipse packages
indicates that as well:

Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>