Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 19.02.2014 05:14, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> I was discussing this with a member of the Debian FTP team on
>> #debian-mentors and as a result, here are some thoughts and a
>> compromise that would resolve both the wake6 issue and the
>> engine-in-main issue.
>>
>> The problem is essentially the conflation between the engine and the
>> game and that the engine package is incorrectly named. It should be
>> called cube2 instead of sauerbraten. IIRC there are other games out
>> there (and maybe already in Debian) using cube2.
>>
>> I propose the following:
[...]

>> Rename the sauerbraten-data source/binary packages to sauerbraten and
>> leave it in non-free, conflicts/replaces against contrib versions of
>> sauerbraten.

[...]
>> Ask upstream to release wake2, wake5 under a free license and package
>> those in main, otherwise non-free.
>
> Do we actually have any games currently packaged in Debian that use
> the same cube2 engine as it is currently packaged in the "sauerbraten"
> package? If not, then going through the trouble of renaming these
> packages seems to be rather pointless. At the end of the day, what I
> want (and what I think is most reasonable) is for an user to be able
> to "apt-get install sauerbraten" and have APT install the
> corresponding engine and data packages that the user would've gotten
> if he/she went to sauerbraten.org and downloaded it manually.

I like Paul's proposal and I volunteer for implementing it. I think it's
not only a good compromise but it also addresses the technical issues
correctly.

Users will still be able to install and play sauerbraten with "apt-get
install sauerbraten". The difference between now and then will be that
the non-free data package (the game sauerbraten) depends on the free
cube2 engine and not vice versa. That means they have to enable the
non-free repository explicitly but someone who wants to study the source
code or teach the theoretical and practical application of 3D game
engines is then able to install the cube2 engine from main without
having to enable contrib.

That's a huge step forward and nothing will change for people who want
to play sauerbraten.

Paul Wise wrote:
>> Rename sauerbraten-wake6 source/binary packages to wake6, put it in
>> main and strip any mention of sauerbraten from the package
>> descriptions.

I'm currently thinking that I might be able to find some other free
maps/images/content for this package and documentation too in the
future. Perhaps cube2-wake6, cube2-tutorials or cube2-docs would then be
more appropriate? Otherwise the package name wake6 might be easy to
miss. (I'm still convinced that upgrading the -wake6 package to some
sort of tutorial package would be most sensible.)

Probably I don't even have to ask the upstream developer of wake6 to
relicense his other maps. Contrary to popular belief not all content for
the sauerbraten game is non-free. I would also like to point out again
that Red Eclipse is basically a free game with DFSG-compliant licenses
based on cube engine 2. It is still not clear to me why we make an
exception for this game and put it in contrib but that's another thread.
I didn't want to open all cans of worms at once.

Regards,

Markus