Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
>> Any objections?
>
> I was discussing this with a member of the Debian FTP team on
> #debian-mentors and as a result, here are some thoughts and a
> compromise that would resolve both the wake6 issue and the
> engine-in-main issue.
>
> The problem is essentially the conflation between the engine and the
> game and that the engine package is incorrectly named. It should be
> called cube2 instead of sauerbraten. IIRC there are other games out
> there (and maybe already in Debian) using cube2.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> Figure out where the current sauerbraten-wake6 source in Debian came
> from. The one on the upstream website has a completely different
> license to the one in Debian. The upstream website says public domain
> but the upstream zip file says CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 (non-free) and the
> README in the Debian source package says public domain.
>
> If that is resolved satisfactorily, then:
>
> Rename the sauerbraten source/binary packages to cube2 and put it in
> main, no transition packages.
>
> Rename the sauerbraten-data source/binary packages to sauerbraten and
> leave it in non-free, conflicts/replaces against contrib versions of
> sauerbraten.
>
> Rename sauerbraten-wake6 source/binary packages to wake6, put it in
> main and strip any mention of sauerbraten from the package
> descriptions.
>
> Ask upstream to release wake2, wake5 under a free license and package
> those in main, otherwise non-free.

Do we actually have any games currently packaged in Debian that use
the same cube2 engine as it is currently packaged in the "sauerbraten"
package? If not, then going through the trouble of renaming these
packages seems to be rather pointless. At the end of the day, what I
want (and what I think is most reasonable) is for an user to be able
to "apt-get install sauerbraten" and have APT install the
corresponding engine and data packages that the user would've gotten
if he/she went to sauerbraten.org and downloaded it manually.

Regards,
Vincent