Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 19/02/14 17:11, Markus Koschany wrote:
> I would also like to point out again that Red Eclipse is basically
> a free game with DFSG-compliant licenses based on cube engine 2.

Hmm, so src:sauerbraten and src:redeclipse are forks of the same code?
If the engine isn't heavily forked, maybe both games[1] could share
cube2-engine, like quake3 and openarena share ioquake3, and nexuiz and
quake share darkplaces? The security team would probably thank you for
that.

[1] "game" at a high level - "thing a user can play, with its own
name, menu entry, levels and set of design decisions", as opposed to
"game engine"

> It is still not clear to me why we make an exception for this game
> and put it in contrib

The answer appears to be "because it depends on redeclipse-data, which
is in non-free"; and according to its copyright file, the answer to
the obvious next question is "because redeclipse-data is all under
Free licenses, but is not the preferred form for modification, and
nobody has wanted to put in the effort to track down the corresponding
preferred forms for modification". So it fails the first half of DFSG
§2 but not the second - the opposite of some other packages in
non-free, which come with source code but are under a non-commercial
license or something.

Having spent quite a while trying to correlate "source" files in
OpenArena svn with the manually-converted derived files that are all
they actually release, I can sympathise...

> That means they have to enable the non-free repository explicitly
> but someone who wants to study the source code or teach the
> theoretical and practical application of 3D game engines is then
> able to install the cube2 engine from main without having to enable
> contrib.

Sure, if you want to put the Cube2 engine in main, all that is
necessary is that Free data that it can operate on *exists*. The
ftpmasters were OK with having quakespasm in main on the basis that
OpenQuartz exists, even though OpenQuartz is not packaged and probably
never will be.

I still don't really see why deb-src [...] contrib (deb [...] contrib
isn't needed!) is problematic for studying the source code of a Free
thing; everything in contrib is Free, it just doesn't (yet?) work
without non-Free things.

> I'm currently thinking that I might be able to find some other
> free maps/images/content for this package and documentation too in
> the future. Perhaps cube2-wake6, cube2-tutorials or cube2-docs
> would then be more appropriate?

If you intend to add more later, something like cube2-data or
cube2-content? Or if you intend to defer dealing with that until you
get to it, cube2-wake6 seems reasonable.

-docs seems odd for a package that is not primarily documentation;
-tutorials seems odd if its primary purpose isn't to be a tutorial.