Re: Next Games Team Meeting

On Thu, 04. Jul 22:08 Vincent Cheng <vincentc1208@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I think that new member recruitment takes priority over everything
> else; lack of manpower and resources is what I perceive to be a
> pressing issue for most teams within Debian, and the Games team is no
> exception. In particular, as a non-DD, I think that the sponsorship
> system that's currently in place isn't working as well as it should
> be. I've personally given up on using debian-mentors and the Games
> team's sponsor queue (I think the last time I've even bothered with
> either of them as a means to get my packages in Debian was over a year
> ago), because waiting for months on end for package sponsorship is
> discouraging to say the least. The one thing that works more often
> than not is to prod and poke at individual DDs in private until you
> get your packages uploaded, but that more or less defeats the purpose
> of resources like debian-mentors.
>
> We need initiatives like Debian Med's MoM [1], otherwise we're just
> going to face a lack of manpower and resources indefinitely, as long
> as it's more hassle to get your work in Debian than it is to actually
> do the work itself.

Ack. I have made the same experience and i am glad that i found Adrian
Glaubitz who already sponsored tons of games for me but there is
certainly a limit. I can't really influence the current situation but
having people who invest time in sponsoring packages and bug fixes is
key to attract new members IMHO.

[...]

Thanks for the other suggestions.

> We've had similar initiatives, e.g in the form of "gift" tags [2], but
> that never seemed to have taken off.

Interesting idea. Probably it is simply not very well-known.

Markus