Re: Music

No need to CC me, I'm subscribed.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Iwan Gabovitch wrote:

> Thanks! I'm surprised about Hex-a-hop but they marked the files very nicely.
> Also at least one file is based on a now CC0 sound. Freesound introduced
> alternatives to CCSampling+ a few years ago and some users are migrating
> with a long delay.

Good to hear, could you point out which one was migrated to CC0?

> It is not common but some LMMS [1], midi [2] and milkytracker [3] sources
> are available, when using the format/sotware names as search terms. There
> might be even more.

Excellent!

> Is there a definition of "source" by Debian available? When taking the GPL's
> definition "the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it"
> one could argue that a final rendered audio file can be easier to make
> changes to than acquiring and setting up the same software (and possibly
> sample libraries?).

We generally use the GPL definition. I personally expect that both
upstream and Debian users should have the same level of access to the
various forms of the work. So if upstream publishes Ogg but keeps the
LMMS project secret then that isn't acceptable. I believe that is what
the GPL means by "preferred form". Obviously the source form can only
be determined on a case-by-case basis, especially for audio/graphics
but also for programming languages like C (for eg bug #383465 or the
emacs GPL issue). As programmers it is hard for many of us to know
what the "source form" of a non-program work is so we need to talk to
upstreams to find out what the actual source is but some tips about
which files we should ask about are here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Games/Upstream/#source

Please note that some folks in Debian prefer to ignore this issue and
take upstream's word for it about what the source is and not ask
upstream to not throw away better forms. I for example would want
upstream to keep around an XCF file but some folks might find it
acceptable to render that to PNG and then delete the XCF file.

> Also, is there a clear official statement by Debian that data is required to
> be available in source form anywhere? I was trying to find this out for
> slides about free art in free games [4] two months ago but failed.

DFSG item 2 applies to the whole archive. As I said above we rarely
know what the source form and aren't always asking upstream what that
actually is.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract
https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

--