Re: Music

I meant this for the list, of course.  Sorry about that.

----- Forwarded message from Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> -----
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:40:09PM +0200, Iwan Gabovitch wrote:
> Is there a definition of "source" by Debian available? When taking the
> GPL's definition "the preferred form of the work for making modifications
> to it" one could argue that a final rendered audio file can be easier to
> make changes to than acquiring and setting up the same software (and
> possibly sample libraries?).

There isn't an "official" definition; that one is often used.  I disagree with
your analysis; I would argue that it means whatever method the original creator
would use.  Since they have already set up the program with the sample
libraries, this is not a limitation.

But then still it is possible that the final rendering is the source.
Especially if there were manual modifications to it after the rendering (that
happens to images more than to sounds, I suppose).

> Also, is there a clear official statement by Debian that data is required
> to be available in source form anywhere? I was trying to find this out for
> slides about free art in free games [4] two months ago but failed.

The social contract says: We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if
a work is "free" in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software
Guidelines".  Note that even though their name mentions "software", nothing
else actually does.  "A work" can certainly be non-software.

The DFSG themselves talk about "the program", which may be subject to different
interpretations.  I think that anything that has source should be considered a
program, so the only limitation on art is that if there is no automated
handling, the provisions on delivering source code might not apply.  But in
that case they are irrelevant anyway, because the work is its own source.

However, the DFSG are only guidelines and not everybody agrees with my
interpretation; I know some people think only software has to be free, and
artwork doesn't.  In the end, it's up to the individual maintainer to decide
what to put in a package (and if there is a dispute, ftpmaster or the technical
committee may interfere, of course).

Thanks,
Bas
----- End forwarded message -----