Re: Steam for Linux? No thanks.

Hi Boris,

Just addressing a few of your comments below...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Boris Pek <tehnick-8@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> (given that's it's already waiting in the NEW queue [4])
>> [4] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/steam_1.0.0.28-1.html
>
> Vincent, thank you for a link. I was not aware of this.
>
> Michael, I completely don't satisfied with a quality of a package which is
> waiting now in NEW queue. Sorry if it annoying you, but I just want to help
> to improve this package to make it more conforming to Debian standards.
>
> Some notes after quick review:
> 0) I think that ITP #440607 is not suitable for this package and ITP #701157
>    should be used instead.
You may as well just merge the two bug reports together and be done
with it, to show that the two of you want to see Steam packaged and
maintained in Debian. Whatever you do, I would suggest not modifying
old changelog entries once the package makes its way into the
repositories.

> 1) ./usr/lib/steam/bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz
>    This is really bad idea. I believe that this binary file should not be
>    included in the package but should be downloaded during package installing
>    I am not sure that debian/postinst from flashplugin-nonfree is good
>    example but something similar could be used.
I don't see why this is a "really bad idea". I don't see how
downloading this tarball during postinst is any better than the
current approach. We aren't legally prohibited from re-distributing
this tarball as is (unlike Flash, which IIRC requires that you contact
Adobe first for permission, or ttf-mscorefonts-installer, which you
aren't supposed to download and use unless you own a copy of Windows
with those fonts, etc.), so it's entirely up to the maintainer.

> 2) Your debian/copyright does not include information about licenses and
>    copyright holder of libraries in bootstraplinux_ubuntu12_32.tar.xz.
>    This could be fixed by point 1 from above.
>    .
>    Also it will be good idea to use forced wrapping of strings in this file to
>    limit their length to 80 characters as usual.
> 3) libc6 (>=2.15)
>    Sorry, what? Program do not work with this version of libc6. In my personal
>    packages I use a patch for ./usr/games/steam which adds
>    /usr/lib/steam/libc6/ into LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>    .
>    The contents of /usr/lib/steam/libc6/ should be downloaded during package
>    installing if libc6 < 2.16. I use libc6 (2.17-0experimental2) from Debian
>    experimental for this goal.
No, that's right; it looks like upstream built their binaries on an
Ubuntu platform (which makes sense given that they're initially
targeting Ubuntu 12.04/12.10), and Ubuntu is currently distributing
eglibc 2.15 on both of these releases. Please use system versions of
libraries installed in system paths whenever possible, rather than
installing copies of existing libs into private directories. Let's not
try to emulate ia32-libs please. :)

You'll notice that Michael's steam package is currently targeting
experimental anyhow, and the package's dependencies are currently only
satisfied in experimental.