Re: Steam for Linux? No thanks.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:47:53 Jon Dowland wrote:

> > > I disagree strongly with this statement here. Steam was not created
> > > for the sake of enforcing DRM; Steam is merely a distribution channel
> > > to make it easier for game devs to market their games to a wider
> > > audience, and DRM facilitates that (in a twisted way).
> >
> > What makes you think that development of sophisticated and redundant
> > distribution system for game binaries was justified by anything else but
> > facilitation of DRM and centralised control over distribution?
> >
> > Can you support your statement with facts? I don't see how your argument
> > is better than mine -- you've just said "no it's not".
>
> We don't need facts to counteract nonsense arguments like "evil software".

When you pick on how I use language please don't call it "counteracting
nonsense arguments". At least this statement is not accurate neither it is
honest. Arguments don't have to be based on facts to be valid -- they could be
based on ethics, theory, experience, philosophy, pros/cons, best practice etc.

I think you perfectly understand what I was trying to say but you would prefer
if I express it in milder terms. Your desire for neutrality doesn't make you
more right. It is merely demonstrate your reluctance to take sides in this
discussion. Why do you prefer attacking wrongs of my language to attacking
wrongs of proprietary software that I'm opposing?

While my choice of words may feel wrong to you (I appreciate that you took
time to correct me) the argument stands -- how do we justify uploading of
/evil/wrong/unethical/proprietary/DRM-
supporting/unneeded/unwanted/redundant/unnecessary/ (choose any) non-free game
distribution system?

It seems that while we have many arguments against this upload the only weak
argument to the contrary is that more people might get access to proprietary
content using our free platform.

It appears to me that you put so much effort to discredit the form that I used
to express my argument(s) that you've missed or ignored the whole point why I
consider Stream upload to be wrong. Is this all merely because I used stronger
language then you prefer?

After all I'm sure that Steam does not need to be protected and it doesn't
worth your protection. I'm not so sure if imperfections of my communication
are worthy of your criticism either...

Thanks.

Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B

---

The man who does not do his own thinking is a slave, and is a traitor
to himself and to his fellow-men.
         -- Robert G. Ingersoll, "The Liberty
            of Man, Woman and Child" 1877