Re: Quake versions [was Re: RFS: quakespasm (2nd try)]

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:38:48 +0100, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:30:34AM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> > I'd also like to add a non-dying version of verify_md5sum so that
> > alternative sums can be checked,
>
> Yes I started to want that too.  I think I handled it in some way with the
> doom support (warning rather than dying if your IWAD was out of date) but I
> probably re-implemented a lot of it instead.  Fixing would be better.
> Something like "warn_unless_md5sum" and "die_unless_md5sum" perhaps.

Perhaps, or maybe simply passing verify_md5sum a list of sums to check, with
the idea that the first is the preferred one but the others should be
accepted too (maybe with a warning)... Would it make sense to try to
automatically upgrade files when possible? (I'm thinking of Doom and Quake
here.) Maybe even using the detected game version instead of (or in addition
to) the game-data-packager version for the generated package...

I was wondering too about ripping the audio tracks from the various CDs,
especially now that Quakespasm supports playing audio files instead of CD
tracks. Obviously code speaks louder than words, I'll try to code it up soon;
it would add a few dependencies (well, recommendations or suggestions) to
game-data-packager - cdparanoia and oggenc.

Regards,

Stephen