Re: Thoughts about removing vegastrike from the archive

On 14 June 2010 12:39, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> * Loďc Martin <loic.martin3@gmail.com> [2010-06-13 22:02:10 CEST]:
>> stripped-down version. However, I don't know what the maximum size
>> limit is for Debian.
>
>  It's said to be that it has to fit on a CD. nexuiz-data did run into
> that limit until Fuddl did split the textures off into their own
> package - the music was split out for a long time already.
>
>  Not sure what issues will be there once a source package reaches the CD
> size limit.

Thanks, I didn't think the uncompressed size was the main issue.

With textures but no music the size uncompressed is 728MB. That size
might be reduced by compressing the PNG textures, but even if that
didn't cause problems for the game it would hurt compression for the
package. When not taking into account compression, the biggest folder
on the disk is the units/ folder (354MB), with plenty of JPG files.
They don't open in the Gimp though, and maybe only upstream would know
if they can be safely compressed further (especially since JPG
compression is destructive), but it could be a possibility.

Loïc