Re: Thoughts about removing vegastrike from the archive

On 18 May 2010 15:59, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  As pabs kindly pointed me several weeks ago, vegastrike has been
> left out for ages; it has several RC bugs, and never made it into
> testing for more than a few weeks. There were severe licensing
> problems in version 0.4.3 that were diligently fixed upstream with
> version 0.5; unfortunately, the latter needs a half-gigabyte game data
> package, whose direct upload is not possible. However, it would be
> possible to build a "stripped-down" version of vegastrike-data by
> downgrading the texture quality and removing/downgrading music.

I had a look at vegastrike upstream 0.5 version data during the past
few days, and even though request for removal is on its way, I figured
the following information might still be usefull for people
considering adopting the package in the future.

Without the music (and binaries of course), you're looking at a 260MB
data file (compressed with 7z). Still a big step from the previous
150MB in Sid, but not as much as half a GB. Reducing that further
would probably require upstream cooperation, or at least a developer
that knows its ways around graphic data compression (the graphic files
can't be opened in a graphic editor).

The music itself is an easier target. It's 156MB in upstream's
archive, but half of that is wasted encoding Mono audio in a Stereo
file, and since the audio is computer generated in the first place you
can downsize it to 50MB without losing the quality.

So all in all, just going for the low hanging fruit would make it a
260MB data file plus a 50MB audio file. No loss in quality, no
stripped-down version. However, I don't know what the maximum size
limit is for Debian.

Cheers,
Loïc