Re: data.d.o rationale

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:27:10AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net> wrote:
>
> > What is planned for big data that has big source code (flat graphics
> > -> 3D models and textures; ogg song -> wav/flac format...)?
>
> Are you aware of any data that fits this description?
>
> I imagine the same archive could be used.

I guess that most data fits this description, abeilt we don't have the
source code and distribute it in free nonetheless.

For FreeDink we have this problem for the legacy data (the 2D graphics
were rendered 14 years ago from 3D models that are not publicly
available, and probably produced by proprietary software).

However for new data (mostly sounds), we include both a source form
and a final forms.  Final form can be synthesised, trimmed, encoded
with lossy formats, etc., but the source and its project files
(e.g. Audacity and Rosegarden project files) are also available.

This is why freedink-data's source is ~2x bigger than the binary
package.

--
Sylvain