Re: Policy 3.8.0 and README.source

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer ;-)

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org> [2008-06-09 17:45:31 CEST]:
> > Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > >  ... and that's why I am writing this mail. We propably want to define
> > > at least team internal some default snippets/text for that, depending on
> > > wether which patch tool our packages are using, and if a new upstream
> > > tarball needs special tweaking.
> >
> > Won't the new source package format "3.0 (quilt)" make this unnecessary
> > for most of our packages?  It would apply the patches directly when the
> > source is extracted, so no further explanations are needed.
>
>  Erm, not really. Further explenations _are_ needed, about how to add a
> new patch to such a source package. But I would expect something similar
> to /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source will get added to dpkg itself
> (README.quilt or such?). It's not done yet, so we can't reference that.

Adding new patches is quite simple: Just edit the files directly and a
new patch will automatically be generated when building the source package
(named debian-changes-[version].diff).  Patches are automatically
applied when unpacking the source package.

Further explanations are needed for adding multiple patches and renaming
them, but since this will be a standard format, I think it would be
enough if this was documented in dpkg, without giving an explicit
pointer in every source package.

In the discussion about README.source for packages using quilt, the same
question was asked and Russ Allbery agreed with my view [1] that the new
source format will make this unnecessary.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/04/msg00885.html

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19