Re: Policy 3.8.0 and README.source

Hi!

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:28:34 +0200 Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

>  ... and that's why I am writing this mail. We propably want to define
> at least team internal some default snippets/text for that, depending on
> wether which patch tool our packages are using, and if a new upstream
> tarball needs special tweaking.

Standards are good [tm]. What about the following "format":

Task: apply debian patches
Tools: quilt
Command: quilt push -a
 quilt for managing Debian patches

Task: ...

Then we define some standard tasks, like
apply-debian-patches-with-{quilt,dpatch}, update-to-new-upstream,
repack-upstream (for bz2->gzip), fetch-upstream-from-{cvs,svn,git,...},
point to the README.source of the used tools (if they provide one
as quilt does) in the description and can copy&paste these to the
README.source of the packages.

However, I have no strange upstream-tarballs nor quilt in my packages,
so I can only suggest a dpatch task:

Task: apply-debian-patches-with-dpatch
Tools: dpatch
Command: make -f debian/rules patch