Re: Policy 3.8.0 and README.source

Hi,

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  As everyone of you should be aware[1], we got a new major policy update
> and with this a new file that we propably have to put in every single
> package of ours.
>
>  ... and that's why I am writing this mail. We propably want to define
> at least team internal some default snippets/text for that, depending on
> wether which patch tool our packages are using, and if a new upstream
> tarball needs special tweaking.

Won't the new source package format "3.0 (quilt)" make this unnecessary
for most of our packages?  It would apply the patches directly when the
source is extracted, so no further explanations are needed.

The announcement for the updated policy [1] says that it's not a
priority to adjust packages for lenny, and the new source package should
be allowed in lenny+1.

I suggest we wait and concentrate on making our packages ready for the
quilt-based format.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/06/msg00001.html

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19